How is Glaucoma Diagnosed?
22 Jan, 2019
The only sure way to diagnose glaucoma is with a complete eye exam. A glaucoma screening that only checks eye pressure is not enough to find glaucoma.
During a glaucoma exam, your ophthalmologist will:
- measure your eye pressure
- inspect your eye's drainage
- examine your optic nerve for damage
- test your peripheral (side) vision
- take a picture or computer measurement of your optic nerve
- measure the thickness of your cornea
It is highly suggested to have regular exams done by your opthalmologist in order to detect signs of glaucoma early, as early detection is critical to retaining your sight.